Sunday, November 22, 2009

Menu Planning 101

I have gotten a lot of replies via twitter (a lot for me is 15 by the way) about my method of menu planning. And while I believe I have been successfully talked into providing a weekly menu and shopping list starting in January, I thought I'd give you a run down on how I get the job done. You know, just in case my menus don't work for your family of two or 15.

Our family includes four people. Two adults (one whom is a part time vegetarian) and two children (one of whom is often heard saying "I don't like that." no matter what I put on the table.) Obviously, cooking for 4 is easier than cooking for a whole bunch more. And when Terry and I are empty-nesters someday, you can expect us out to eat. A LOT. =)

The reason I plan a menu is quite simple: budget. I want to know how much money I can expect to spend at the grocery store and therefore how much money I will have extra to spend on fun stuff like gardening or decorating the house. Groceries first. Fun second.

Here we go: Menu Planning 101

1. Know Your Recipes: I happen to have a recipe binder in addition to my cookbooks. If there is a recipe I use frequently, I tear it out (esp. if I use the cookbook for hardly any other recipe) place it in one of those plastic sleeves, and into the recipe binder it goes. Behind the appropriate tab of course. The sleeves also come in handy when I tear a recipe out of a magazine or copy one down from a friend. If you have a pretty good idea of what is in your repertoire, menu planning becomes less time consuming. I've even gone so far as to make an index of our favorites. An index helps when I get stuck on occasion.

2. Try Something New: At least once a month try something new. Have a backup like a frozen pizza because it could be a total flop. Then you're out to eat spending more money than you wanted to. And make the something new healthy. I've been trying to weed out the cheese and butter laden recipes for years now. It's harder than you think if you don't have really good replacement meals.

3. Google Calendar: You can use any calendar and sometimes I go old school with a paper calendar, but I like to use Google Calendar to put things down. Check with your spouse and kids. Then mark off any days you don't need to cook/plan for. This doesn't necessarily mean not providing food, but if I can heat up a box of soup and serve it with grilled cheese (cheap and easy) then that is what I am doing. For example, I never plan real food for days Terry is out of town. My kids think Kid Cuisine or breakfast for dinner is a special treat, so I go with it. Also, the girls are at Konnect every Sunday night right at dinner time. Sundays are EMFH: Every Man for Himself. And some nights we just want to eat out. Doesn't happen that often.

4. Double Duty Meals: If you don't like leftovers, but want to stay on a tighter budget, you will have to get over one or the other. =) At least once a planning period (every 15 days for us) I make a double duty meal like Turkey Penne. This dish makes so much we can have our neighbors over AND eat it again one other night. Leftovers don't have to be the next night. Give your family a break, and stick a new meal in between days. It'll seem like new! Sort of. Ok, just look at the new rug you bought with all the money you are saving and they'll get over it. Ha ha!

5. Plan Your Meals!: At this point I just go through my index (if I need to) and write down one meal for each open calendar day.

Things to think about: Plan the recipes that utilize fresh ingredients first. There's nothing worse than your produce going bad before you actually get to make the meal. Then you are stuck with another trip to the grocery. If you enjoy entertaining, plan get togethers around recipes that make a boat load of food anyway. Then the only extra thing you are doing is setting the table for guests. You can always ask guests to bring a salad or dessert. They rarely mind and it's one less thing on your plate. Pun intended.

Also, special meals like Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter require special care. Usually have a whole entire page for those. Lots to do and think about!

6. Make a Grocery List: As I am writing down or typing in the meal, I write down the ingredients on my list. My list is simply a blank piece of notebook paper with categories written at the top (Produce, Meat, Dairy, Frozen, Grocery, Misc.) This will save you time at the store as you won't see something on your list when you are getting milk that you needed to get while on isle 7.

Things to Think about: I keep a white board on the inside of my pantry door so I can write down staples as we run out of them. I always buy several frozen pizzas or a Stouffer's Lasagna for nights I want something easy and just don't feel like cooking. Also, don't be afraid of generic products, especially canned goods going in soups etc. NO ONE WILL KNOW. Not even you. But your pocketbook will notice. I don't do a lot of couponing. Generally we don't eat a lot of the things I get coupons for; if I have one, great! If not, I don't stress too much.

7. Go to the Grocery as Little as Possible: I always spend more money the more often I go shopping. Even if it's for one or two items. Even worse then because I feel like I'm not spending that much so it's okay to pick up a little of this or a little of that.


This is what I really do for each pay period. It takes me about 30 minutes or less to plan and write out a grocery list. I do intend on posting menus and grocery lists beginning in January, but for now, grab your cookbooks, a calendar and a pen (or your laptop) and get to it!!

3 comments:

Leigh said...

You are a lifesaver!! I am hoping that after using your stuff for a while it will get easier and I will be able to do this menu planning on my own. My mother never taught me how to do this and it is a blessing to have someone like you to mimic for a while...THANK YOU!!

Robin said...

Thanks Leigh! It does get a ton easier and as you find what your family will and won't eat. I will be posting menus and stuff in January and my mottos is still cheap, easy, good. We'll see how it goes. I may be out of ideas come jan 2nd. Ha ha!

Cook'n said...
This comment has been removed by the author.